The Los Altos Classical Advantage
The LA Classical Advantage
- Development of Critical Thinking Skills: At LA Classical, we place a strong emphasis on teaching students how to think critically, analyze information, and engage in logical reasoning. By studying classical subjects such as logic, and rhetoric, students develop skills that enable them to think independently, ask probing questions, and evaluate arguments.
- Strong Foundation in Language and Communication: An LA Classical education emphasizes the study of grammar, rhetoric, and literature. Through the study of classical languages like Latin and Greek, students gain a deeper understanding of the structure of language, which enhances their grasp of their native language and improves their communication skills.
- Exposure to Classical Literature and Timeless Ideas: An LA Classical education exposes students to the great works of literature, philosophy, and history from ancient Greece and Rome. By studying these timeless texts, students encounter universal themes, enduring ideas, and influential thinkers that have shaped human civilization. This exposure cultivates an appreciation for the depth and richness of human thought and provides a foundation for cultural literacy.
- Integrated and Interdisciplinary Learning: An LA Classical education encourages the integration of subjects and emphasizes the interconnectedness of knowledge. Instead of compartmentalizing subjects, we seek to show how different fields of study are related and how knowledge can be applied across disciplines. This approach fosters a holistic understanding of the world and helps students see the bigger picture.
- Character Development and Moral Education: An LA Classical education places significant importance on character development and the cultivation of virtues. By emphasizing virtues such as integrity, self-discipline, perseverance, and humility, (virtues exhibited in the life of our Lord Jesus Christ) we aim to nurture students’ moral and ethical growth, helping them become responsible and virtuous individuals, citizens, and Christ followers.
- Preparation for Lifelong Learning: An LA Classical education focuses on teaching students how to learn, rather than simply imparting information. By teaching students how to think critically, ask questions, and seek knowledge independently, it equips them with the skills needed for lifelong learning. Students are encouraged to be curious, engage in self-directed study, and pursue intellectual growth beyond their formal education.
- Emphasis on the Liberal Arts: An LA Classical education prioritizes the liberal arts, which are disciplines aimed at developing the whole person and nurturing intellectual, moral, and creative faculties. This includes subjects such as literature, history, mathematics, science, philosophy, and the arts. The liberal arts provide a well-rounded education that prepares students for a broad range of academic and professional pursuits.
- Integration of Faith and Learning: An LA Classical Christian education provides an environment where faith and learning are integrated. We seek to help students form a personal, intimate relationship with their creator through Jesus the Messiah. Because God is the source of all knowledge and truth, we recognize that all knowledge is interconnected and can be explored through the lens of a Christian worldview. This integration allows students to see the relevance of their faith in all areas of life, fostering a holistic understanding of their position as a child of God.
- Biblical Literacy and Theological Grounding: An LA Classical Christian education includes the study of Scripture, theology, and Christian doctrine as core components of the curriculum. Students engage with the Bible and learn about the foundations of their faith, which provides a solid theological grounding for their discipleship journey.
- Mentorship and Guidance: At LA Classical Christian Academy, we emphasize the role of teachers as mentors and guides. This mentorship model aligns with the concept of discipleship, where more mature believers come alongside younger believers to provide guidance, support, and spiritual nurturing. Teachers serve as role models and mentors, helping students grow in their faith as they seek to follow Jesus.
- Opportunities for Spiritual Formation: An LA Classical Christian education provides many opportunities for spiritual formation, such as chapel services, prayer, worship, Bible study, mentorship, and service to the community. These activities foster spiritual growth, community engagement, and a deeper connection to God, all of which are central to the pursuit of a Godly life.